Sunday, February 19, 2012

Some Recommendations

This post will be a book recommendation. Now I'm sure you've all probably read or at least skimmed through various great works of literature in your busy lives, but the following three books are a must-read for people of all ages. Night and Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West and The Help. Ok, so I agree that younger kids are a little young for these, but I think any mature person above age 11 can read these (even if they aren't bookworms). I first read Night a couple years ago as part of a "trilogy" series from Elie Wiesel.
This was before I was in high school, so I had not yet realized the significance and depth of this 120 page novel. Now, after my class had nearly analyzed the book to shreds (I'm sure all of us have earned the official status as "Certified Night Interpreter"), I highly recommend this book to others wishing to read something else besides works from the monotonous murder mystery/romance novel/chick-lit craze people of the 21st century are currently going through. Take this book, if you haven't already. This isn't just a story about a teen's experiences in Auschwitz and Buchenwald, but also about how one can lose hope in their faith yet gain a deeper understanding of it, and some of the true horrors of humanity. (Sorry if I sound like an English teacher, as you can tell, we really interpreted it.).
On that happy note, let's move on to Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, by Gregory Maguire.

Not to be a hypocrite or anything, but I first came in contact with and read this book in 7th grade. But hey, booklovers can't be stopped just because of imaginary age limits! All I could say after reading this novel was: "Wow, Gregory Maguire is a genius!" Then I pleaded with my parents to buy tickets to see Wicked: The Musical. Well, the cajoling wasn't successful that time, but I promised myself to see it sometime. Soon. Anyways, what I love about this book is the magical world of Oz created by Maguire, with only part of it inspired by the Wizard of Oz. I realize that many of us loved Harry Potter so much that we decided to write sequels of the books not yet published, like the 4th, 5th, and 6th (the 7th is untouchable; only J.K. Rowling knows how it ends. And we would probably destroy the story :) I thought it was so creative how the author made the people/Animals/animals a cross between medieval style and 18th-19th century style. Not to mention Elphaba and Glinda! What was originally the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda the Good Witch now become college roommates at Shiz University. Who could have thought of that?! So, what happens when two people from opposite backgrounds are forced to be roommates and a young Prince sweeps in? Oh, and did I mention Elphaba has green skin? If you have questions, read Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West.
Last, but certainly not least, let me introduce one of my newest favorite books: The Help by Kathryn Stockett! I swear I didn't read it after the movie came out. I actually read this last year, and became engrossed after reading the first two pages. Obviously, the movie was just fantasitc, but I highly recommend reading the book before watching the film, no matter how much you have heard about the infamous "Minny's Chocolate Pie" scene! The Help is about a white lady who recently graduated from the University of Mississppi and two maids living in Jackson, Mississippi in the early 1960s. Clearly, the Civil Rights Movements are play a tremendous role in the backdrop of this book, but I also believe that a novel like this needed to be written sooner or later. Even though the characters are fictional, Stockett states that she uses her childhood in Jackson as the inspiration of this story, so the readers know most of these characters' experiences were very real. It was slightly depressing at times to see the wretched Hilly Holbrook and other white ladies use their silent force to dominate white and black society, but it was also hilarious at certain parts, especially when the loud-mouthed, sassy maid Minny narrates. Just as it says on the cover, this book is a phenomenal read and readers of all ages can enjoy seeing the lives of these three different women cross paths to reveal the atrocities of racial segregation in 1960s America. Read it. You won't regret it.
Enjoy and be sure to drink hot chocolate with marshmallows to fully relax and forget about everything else!

No comments:

Post a Comment