Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Thoughts on The Nutcracker

It's December 28th and here I am, writing about The Nutcracker. It seems a like a belated post, but I mean, who isn't captivated by this family classic, even after seeing it 3 times before? The last time I had seen this fantastic ballet was around 4 years ago. Now that I'm just a year or two short of finishing high school, it was about time to see it again! Under the agreement with my parents this "would be the last time before graduation", I finally secured two pretty top-notch seats.
         We live in the suburbs around 20 minutes from the city, so I relish rare occasions when I see the nightlife. All I can say is, I'm not the only person to think of getting Starbucks before seeing a show. The air around us was misted with steam from my gingerbread latte and other people's holiday delights in a cup. This is what happens when you're tied down with schoolwork, field hockey, and soccer: you forget your city's cultural life. Use your imaginations, people. A theatre lobby, with elaborate embellishments adorned all around the ceiling and walls, with shiny glass mirrors running from top to bottom. The chandeliers are slightly dim, giving off that rich glow, with people laughing and bustling around you, with Christmas decorations in all the right places. In the huge theatre, groups of elegantly dressed people are taking their seats, calmly flipping through programs with an enormous chandelier hanging above. (This isn't the Paris Opera House, by the way)......
        And the lights dim...the Nutcracker Overture starts. The curtains open, and the dancers pretend like there's no large audience watching them. I finally feel Christmas cheer. The rest of the show can't be put into words, because it is a holiday classic and any summarization from would just take its novelty away. Enjoy the rest of winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment